Friday, March 19, 2010

Homeless Shelter Quilt


My day time quilt guild made a committment to provide eight twin sized (extra long) quilts by the end of March for a tri-county family homeless shelter. Betty pieced the top of this quilt, I pieced a backing and quilted it and hope to get the binding on it today. A 70 x 100 quilt has miles of binding so it will take awhile to get all the handstitching done but if I can do one side every night it will be ready to turn in next week.

Even though this quilt is made up of just 10 inch squares it is very pretty with all the different blues in it. The top was made totally of donated fabrics.

I quilted two of this size of quilt in two days, plus a couple of other quilts earlier in the week. Before my knee protests to much I am going to take today away from the frame. I will hopefully working on the binding, some paper work and oh yea, clean the house.


Kathie

2 comments:

Vicki H. said...

Very nice, I have just started learning to use a long arm Babylock and thought about practicing on some Charity quilts. Great idea.

Mary Johnson said...

I'm binding a big one too - I managed to get the binding made and machine stitched earlier today and then got two sides hand stitched tonight.