Monday, August 2, 2010

Design Wall Monday - August 2, 2010


Not that much on my design wall, just these three blocks. My friend is now in charge of the block of the month at our guild. I decided in addition to the blocks I will make to turn in for the block raffle each month I will make one of each block out of Christmas fabrics.

By next summer I will have enough to make a Christmas sampler. It will be busy as I am not picking the same fabrics every month. I will probably have to sash it is black or something to tone it down a bit.

Here are my first three blocks. The 9-patch was for July, August is the one with the large center, and Septembers is the shaded 9 patch.

Do you set quilting goals for the month?

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't bother, I just work on certain things. I usually quilt 2 or 3 charity quilts a month and I am running out of backings so I guess I will make a charity goal for the month of quilting two hospice quilts and making up two backings.

As for my craft show items, I will continue to work on runners and get as many done as possible this month.

Kathie

10 comments:

Nina Marie said...

I try to set quilting goals for the week - time wise- not project wise. I'm never quite sure how long something is going to take me or how much "unsewing" I'll have to do. I find quilt shows help me get things done too.

Diane said...

I'm a weekly goal setter. Monthly would just overwhelm me, sometimes my weekly ones do too. but I love crossing them off as I get 'em done.
I like your Christmas sampler idea. I have a similiar group of blocks that need to be set together and I'm thinking I will need a dark sashing to tone them down as well.

Teaquilts said...

You'll have a great Christmas sampler when you're done. Great plan.

kwiltnkats said...

I like your idea of making an extra "Christmas" block. There are lots of pretty metalic whites available to consider for the sashing instead of black. If you think you might want to give the metalic white a go you should look for the fabric now as it's usually snatched up quickly. You can even find it in a cream color. Mixing up cream and white works nicely too since many of the Christmas fabrics use both as background in the prints.

AnnieO said...

Good idea to make them in a theme so you get a Christmas quilt out of it. Setting goals is good--I am not so wonderful at meeting them and really need to rein that in a bit. New projects are so tempting tho!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I nver set goals although I do have a to do notebook that I can cross things off the page after page of lists.

My life is too unpredictable for goals of any sort except to sleep in my own bed every night!

glen in louisiana

Chris said...

Maybe just three blocks, but they do multiply :)

Mary said...

Thanks for visiting my Design Wall Monday this week. I like your idea to make blocks in Christmas Fabrics for a sampler. I don't set goals, I just try to get as many quilt hours in per week as possible to stay sane...

Dawn-Marie said...

I belong to a blog stie where we set monthly goals. It helps to keep me motivated.

Great way for youto get a Christmas quilt by making the extra block.

Gari in AL said...

That's a great idea, to make two BOM blocks. I may have to try that: I love doing BOMs. Your blocks look very nice.