Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sunday Stash Report - March 13, 2011

It was a good stash reduction week. I made two backings for quilts, several small sample backings for a quilting talk I will be giving and a few other misc. things.

I had several quilts that needed backings. Looked at my box of 10 1/2 squares already cut and had a few in the brown family so decided to make the backing for my small left over fish quilt first as I only had to find and cut half of the fabric.


Even though it is taking awhile to make backings I am glad I didn't buy any of the wide backing fabric the other day at JoAnns. I will save buying backing fabric for when I have to get the quilt done in a hurry or there is NOTHING in my stash at all that I can use for the quilt.

My stats for the week are:

Fabric used this week: 10 yards
Fabric used YTD: 71 yards
Fabric purchased this week: 2 yards (pretty pink stripe)
Fabric purchased YTD: 48.5 yards
Net used in 2011: 22.5 yards

At least my net is getting up there a slight bit.

Kathie

11 comments:

pdudgeon said...

i agree, scrappy backings are a great way to use up fabric and get your totals growing. keep up the good work.

Susan Torrens said...

I'm becoming addicted to using my stash first! Great numbers....

Kate said...

Great stash report. Love your pieced back, very colorful.

Vicky said...

I've been wanting to use a layer cake for a backing. Thanks for the motivation!

Betty said...

Good job Kathie, nice report. Maybe I should give that a try, oh, so much fabric.......

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Good for you! Plus its makes your stash report look better LOL

Penny said...

Backings are such a great way to use up the stash. You were so clever to use those 10" squares. Yup, your numbers are going in the right direction.

Katie Z. said...

Well done!

Jennifer said...

Great usage - I am going to make a back this way too - just decided the other night - I think the backs look great when they have lots of color too!

Marti said...

What I like most about pieced backs is that they make the quilt reversible. Very pretty backing and good use of the stash.

Mary Johnson said...

I love these pieced backs but they do take a while to cut and sew. I do my off center 4 patch when I need to piece but am in a hurry.