Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Learning Time


You know how sometimes you hear that doing a certain thing is not a good idea but you have to try it yourself? I have always heard that you DON"T want to use a sheet for a backing on a quilt.

A customer made this cute 1970's looking quilt for her daughter. Her daughter wanted a white soft sheet used for the back. I had heard that was a problem but did it anyway. In a way I am glad I did it, now I know first hand what problems it creates and I also know that I won't accept a sheet as a backing again.

For anyone that has not tried it a sheet is a lot tighter weave and caused nothing but tension problems. When I finally got the tension fairly ok then the thread kept shredding on me and ended up breaking about every ten minutes. A job that should have taken just a few hours ended up taking up most of my day.

So unless you are as hard headed as I am and have to try it yourself I strongly suggest you don't try and recycle an old sheet into a quilt backing.

I am already making progress on my goals for the week as this was one of two customer quilts I wanted to get done and I also took time to get the binding on the split decision quilt last night. Now I have a nice handwork project to do while watching American Idol tonight.



Kathie

2 comments:

AnnetteB said...

I am so glad I stumbled onto your blog. I just bought a cute sheet at a yard sale and was thinking it would look cute on the back of my recycled men's shirt turning twenty quilt. So now I'm even wondering if the poly/cotton men's shirts will give quilting problems. hmmm. Well, thanks for reporting your sheet experience, I'll use a new strategy now!

Lori said...

Yup, I took in a quilt with a sheet backing, drove me crazy too. It only works for hand quilters, I remember doing it "back in the day"!