Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11th

I watched some of the news this morning replaying the events of September 11th. As anyone that was an adult at the time I will always remember that day. The shock, the upset and a feeling for the first time of being totally vulnerable. We live near a Navy base and also a power plant so as a precaution all the kids were sent home early from school that day.

One of the ladies in my quilt guild lost her husband at the Pentagon that day and a guy I worked with lost his brother-in-law, he was on the plane that hit the pentagon.

I didn't sleep that night, I spent the night on the sofa watching TV. When I heard planes in the sky it was unsettling because I knew the only planes in the sky were military and I kept wondering what was happening.

My first thought was for all the little kids that had parents drop them at school or day care that morning and never came home.

I think I hugged my daughter so hard that night (she was 7 at the time) that she was wondering what was wrong because at 7 you don't really understand.

It is a day that changed our world and how we look at things and I know for one I will not forget.

Kathie

No comments: