Thursday, September 9, 2010

10 Minute Challenge

There have been recent discussions on an on line charity quilting group that I read on a daily basis (heartstrings) about cleaning up your sewing room. Some of these ladies have inspired me to TRY and make my sewing room a little cleaner and more organized.

I decided that taking a day or two of nothing but cleaning in my basement quilting studio didn't sound like much fun or something that I would stick with so I am challenging myself to spend the first 10 minutes of anytime I go to the sewing room cleaning/straightening up or organizing. I figure that I can probably get a lot accomplished in that little bit of time if I stick to it for a couple of weeks.

This morning I went down there and spent 10 minutes and in that time I got my cutting board totally cleaned off. Wish I had taken a before picture because I had fabric strips, some patterns off the internet, a quilting magazine and 3 pairs of sissors on there. It will be nice to do some cutting without having to move everything first.

Do you want to join me in my challenge? How much can you get done in 10 minutes?


Yesterday I had declared a day to work on craft show projects. I was going through my "to be quilted" shelf and found this top that I had totally forgotten about. About six months ago I had made a baby quilt for my step-daughter to give a friend. Since I was not using a specific pattern I had lots of pieces and parts left so used them putting together this little quilt.

I decided to try my third attempt at Dawn's Fern Ziggle from the latest Pajama Quilter DVD and I had a lot better success this time. I even got the binding about half way hand stitched down last night.

Kathie

7 comments:

SandyQuilts said...

I have cleaned up my quilt room so many times. I have to face the fact I'm a slow. But cleaning up again over the weekend.

Elaine Adair said...

Good for you, in taking small steps for whatever towards your goal. "One Step At A Time." I sew briefly in the AM, and aim for 10 minutes, and usually end up 20-30 and if I didn't have to leave for work, it would be an hour or more. This AM, I hand washed 5 FQs of newly arrived batiks, changed thread/needle on machine, picked up quilt from floor and made it ready for MQ'ing later today. However since I just couldn't WAIT to see how it would look, I started and ended up quilting the entire side border! I've learned that ME, will stick with it longer than I plan, if I just START something.

Sometimes the rest of you might find yourself working with this plan. Plan on the 10 minutes, and I'll be you will work longer! 8-)))

I'm not joining the challenge in reality, but in spirit. 8-)))

Mary Johnson said...

The quilting looks great, this has already turned into one of my favorite designs.

I need to spend so time cleaning my sewing room too...maybe I need to break it into little steps when I get home!

Needles, Fabric, Chisels, and Wood…Life is GOOD! said...

I have a similar plan, but I do the 10 minutes at the beginning and end of the day. Love having a clean cutting table!

Kate said...

Kathie, I'll give the 10 mintue cleaning a try. I don't have a lot of fabric lying on my cutting table. I've figured that out, it's all the other magazines and boods that I can't seem to manage to get book back!

Helen in the UK said...

Your quilting looks great! Shows that practice and perseverance pays off - congrats. Good luck with the cleaning challenge :)

Ruthie said...

It took me way longer than 10 minutes to put everything away after retreat, but it's done and tomorrow I will sew.