Wednesday, September 17, 2008

County Fair

I was going through all my quilts last night to see what I might want to enter in the county fair this weekend. I ended up pulling out a Christmas quilt just finished, a pink baby quilt with little bunnies on it and one of my poinsettia table runners to enter. I will be dropping those off tonight after work. I am not expecting any ribbons but would be nice to get one anyway.

One of the ladies in our guild donated a couple of huge bags of fabric for philanthropy charity sewing and I was going through some of it with the lady in charge of the effort. So many nice fabrics it was like Christmas. Also in the one bag were some blocks partially put together so I took those home last night to play with. I had all of them laid out on the floor to match up sections I thought would go together. Ends up being that there are enough pieces to make up 12 blocks so with sashing should be a nice size donation quilt.

Mary M. had also received an email about a serviceman that had received a QOV and how much it meant to him. I don't remember his words but he talked about what a comfort it was, and how it brightened up his trip home. Not only providing color and warmth on his trip home in a drab grey aircraft but also what it represented, it was a little bit of home on his trip with him. It about brought tears to my eyes but it really reminded me why we make donation quilts. Most of us will never meet a recipient of one of the donation quilts, or hear the story of what it meant to the person, never know if it was appreciated or tossed aside, but when you hear an occasional story like this it makes all the effort definitely worth it.

Kathie

No comments: