Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Pearl Harbor

The first thing the kiddo and I did in Hawaii other than shopping was taking a tour to go see the Pearl Harbor Memorial. I expected to be impressed but I was surprised at how emotional I was.

The first two pictures were as we pulled up to the memorial and disembarked our boat.


This is part of the Arizona that remains above the surface.


The wall with the names of everyone on board that died that day. That really hit me as a lot of the young sailors were probably only a couple years older than my daughter. I believe the number was 1177 young men that perished that day on the Arizona.


I guess the part that got to me the most is this next picture. It will be the 70th anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor this coming December 7th and oil is still seeping from the ship. They said that it was fully loaded with fuel at the time of the bombing. One third of it blew up with the ship, one third of it burned on the water and the remaining one third leaks out at about a quart a day over the last 70 years. If you can't see the oil click on the picture to make it larger.


I am still trying to recover from the cold I picked up in Hawaii. I did manage to get two baby quilts quilted yesterday between trips to the sofa to rest.

I got a call from the doctors office yesterday and they had a surgical opening so my hand surgery is scheduled for May 9th, not much longer to wait. I will be trying to get the customer quilts I have in house done and a couple of my own projects done before the surgery as I don't know how long it will be before I will be able to longarm again.

kathie

3 comments:

kwiltnkats said...

Pearl Harbor Memorial is definitely an emotional visit. The enormity of the event is hard to fathom. The shock when it happened and the devistation afterwards. Such sorrow and grief suffered. All though you're anxious about the surgery; you must be happy about the chnage in date. Best of luck with it. Sandi

Kim West said...

I am glad you got to come here. I wish I would have known, I would have met for coffee or something. If you come back, I can offer some good advice for local places to shop/etc.

Pearl Harbor is very sobering. I need to go back again soon. I thing the cold is making another round here... me and the kids woke up this morning with one.

Eileen said...

nice pictures