Monday, April 4, 2011

Design Wall Monday - April 4, 2011

I was at the Chesapeake Fiber Arts Retreat from early friday morning until saturday evening. Talk about a great time.

As I unpacked yesterday I put each of my three projects on my design wall to take pictures and also to try and pick out which project I am going to continue to work on first.

This first project was from a Kaleidoscope class. Easy piecing as it is only sewing strips of fabric together. The hard part is accurate cutting of the wedges. I only got this first block done and one other strip set sewn together but I really like the result.


Second picture on my design wall was from a scrappy quilting class. We were making a scrappy background square and then making a half square triangle with white fabric which became a sail. I got the sail part done and the mast added but still need to add the bottom of the sailboat and then deside if I want to make this the center of a quilt or make it into a wall hanging. I am leaning towards making a few real small sailboats and scatter them around with this in the center and make a lap sized quilt.


This last picture is actually from the first class I took. This one is called Twisted 4 Patch and uses the mini twister tool. The kit makes a 40 x 40 wall hanging but I am going to use the blocks to make two table runners instead as the colors in this really wouldn't go on any wall in my house. This picture is of six of the nine blocks. I sat down last night and finished the last 3 blocks as they were already partially done. This class was friday afternoon and officially finished at 4:30 but several of us sat around after dinner and continued to work on these blocks until close to 10:00 p.m.


Classes were widely varied from applique, to piecing, weaving, needle punch, knitting, Project Linus etc. etc. so think everyone was able to do something they liked and also try something new. My major problem was that there were more classes I wanted to take than time. I also learned that I probably don't want to take 3 classes next year all with big projects. I should take one of those a day and then take another class or two that is more demonstration or a small make and take type of class so I don't come home with so many more UFOs.

Kathie

18 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Very fun projects! I like your idea of making smaller projects from the blocks you have finished instead of generating larger UFO's from the classes. That way you can try more techniques :)

Vicki H. said...

What great results! Enjoy your new projects! I have a kaliedescope ruler and have never used it. I need to find a class or retreat, your block is so cool!

Chris said...

Great projects!!! I think my favorite is the first block. I am always drawn to spiderweb style blocks, for some reason.

Teaquilts said...

Great retreat projects and a great idea to have various classes.

Karen said...

I like the fabrics you chose for your Spider Web block. Cool and soothing.

Gari in AL said...

Sounds like you had fun and learned at the same time. I should have come up to Rockville to visit my son and then snuck off to the retreat, too.

Bonnie said...

Love the twister tool. I need to break down and make one of the quilts.... Please post a picture when you are done with that project. Love the kaliedescope one.

Laurie said...

I'm liking the sky piecing and would love to see the finished quilt.

pcflamingo said...

The kaleidoscope block is really stunning! I want to go find a class or a book to make that block now. The Twisted 4-patch is also on my bucket list of quilts I want to make in my lifetime.

LuAnn said...

Great projects. I love the Twister quilt. I just made my first blocks yesterday.

kwiltnkats said...

Nice results from your classes. That is a problem with taking so many classes...UFOs! I like your kaleidoscope project and the sailboat is really coming together nicely. I like the idea making the background square scrappy. The Twisted 4-Patch looks similar to a quilt you've made in the past; was this a new technique? Sandi

Amy said...

Look at all of your cool projects from your retreat. You'll knock out those UFOs before you know it.

Melinda said...

I love taking classes but hesitate anymore because of the UFOs that are a result. You have some very nice projects started.

Kate said...

The Kaleidoscope block is gorgeous! The other projects are cool too, but that one is my favorite. Sounds like you had a great time.

I do get the part about taking "big project" classes. Almost all my UFO's are class projects that didn't get done before I took the next class.

Eileen said...

love them all!!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love all your stuff, but especially love the kaliedoscope!

Betty said...

Wow Kathie, I really like the Kaleidoscope block, really looks great. Maybe in the future, I could attemp that one. I think it looks sharp

Celtic Heart said...

The Kaleidoscope block is gorgeous :)