Monday, January 3, 2011

Design Wall Monday - 1/3/2011

Gee, first design wall monday of the new year and I have nothing on my design wall!!!

I did have the UFO for the UFO challenge on there most of yesterday as I rearranged the rows, started adding strips etc. but it is now all on my sewing table.

I did want to show what was on my design wall right before that. I have been slowly working on Twin Sister blocks (a Bonnie Hunter pattern, I believe was from the July/Aug Quiltmaker Magazine).


Instead of sewing just the blocks together like she had I decided to sew 4 of them into blocks. I am still working on that and will then decide how to set them. My daughter suggested this straight set with dark purple sashing and I think that is a great suggestion. I also thought of maybe putting them on point and putting alternating solid blocks with them. Not sure at this point and will put this project on the back burner for now while I work on this months UFO.

kathie

11 comments:

Mary said...

I love the way your Twin Sisters block is turning out. I have done a number of Bonnie's patterns and always enjoy them.

Jo said...

Your blocks are FUN. That's the one problem with sewing quilts from a block only...(not complete pattern) there are SO many decisions to make. Decisions always trip me up.

Bonnie said...

We'll be watching to see how these blocks evolve into a quilt. Good luck.

Quilter Kathy said...

These are lovely blocks! I am impressed that you are already making progress on your January UFO! I haven't even found mine yet in the storage bins!

scraphappy said...

Fun quilt. Bonnie's patterns are always so fun. I like the purple sashing idea, it sounds like it will add some contrast. Good luck getting it finished up.

Chris said...

I think your daughter has a great idea for the setting.

Mary said...

Thanks for stopping by. I made teh Twin Sister blocks using Elenor Burns method and it looks just the same. Mine are in blender bright colors. I used a Sweet 16 precut pac to make the little quilt. It's not on my UFO's because it only need a backing and I need it sooner for a Grandbaby coming htis year, who knows what the number will be befreo tehn other than #6 for this month.

Betty said...

Nice blocks Kathie, adding purple sounds good. Hope you have some purple to put it all together.

AnnieO said...

Liking all the scrappy goodness. Bonnie has such a great brain. I like your twist on the setting.

kwiltnkats said...

I like daughters idea. The purple would be great with all the greens in the blocks. There are a few great books with borders and setting designs. Pat Speth has a book out called Nickel Quilts & Borders that has lots of great ideas based on 5-Inch Squares. 260 Border ideas that can easily be turned into sashing ideas. Sandi

Alycia said...

Very Nice!