Tuesday, February 3, 2009

PIGS

Quilters have all sorts of names for things. One I enjoy is called PIGS which stands for Projects in Grocery Sacks. We all pick out patterns, buy all the fabric for it and then work, life, other projects etc. get in the way and we don’t make the project. We stash it in a bin, box, or grocery sack and there it sets for weeks, months or years.

I decided a short while ago that I really need a new quilt for the sofa. The ones I have were prior to my longarm quilting and leave a lot to be desired on their quilting, are getting old and the one I use is to short to cover me totally up while watching TV at night.



In an effort to use more of what I have and only buy for specific projects (that I am going to start in no more than 2 or 3 weeks) I started going through all my PIGS that are now located in one huge plastic tub. I found these fabrics and the pattern I had put aside. I am sure I have had them 2 to 3 years at least. They won’t be the “perfect” colors for my sofa but will look ok and the best part is that I shouldn’t have to buy anything else.

I was excited to get started on a project for ME but then realized all fat quarters (18 x 22 inch piece of fabric) are not created equal. The pattern I am working with uses mainly FQs with a background fabric and two border fabrics. I have found that after straightening up and trimming the FQs I am not getting as many strips out of each one as the pattern calls for. In addition to that I cut the first two pieces of background fabric wrong so lost a little fabric there.

I did toss in a couple more FQs but without any additional background fabrics or additional border fabrics I am going to have to see what I can come up with to try and stretch the quilt to make it a little bit bigger.

I guess if all else fails and it doesn't turn out as big as I want I can set the top aside and it can become a gift or a craft show item at a later date.

Kathie

1 comment:

Lori in South Dakota said...

a quilt to cuddle under HAS to be big enough! Dig dig DIG thru your stash!